COMO und Ereignisse - THE COMACINA ISLAND

Comacina Island

Isola Comacina & ANTIQUARIUM 

Open from 10 June 2010 to 31 October 2010

17.00 MonSun from 10am to 5pm

Antiquarium : Tue/Wed/Fri/Sat/Sun from 10am to 5pm and from 3pm to 5pm

TICKETS FOR Comacina Island / ANTIQUARIUM

Adults 5 €

Children 0-6 free - 7-14 2,50 €

Seniors (OVER 65)  4 €

www.isola-comacina.it

Starting from the Antiquarium Museum, near which you can visit the Romanesque church of St. Mary Magdalene with it’s  famous Gothic tower, you embark on the waters of the lake, crossing the so-called “Zoca de l’oli” to reach the Comacina Island.The only Island on Lake Como, was the protagonist of the local history in Roman and Medieval times, resulting in a Roman military, a political centre, and one of the most important religious centres of diocese.The magnitude of the island in  history is such to make us believe  That It was the mythical place from which would rise the walls of “Magistri Comacini” (ars muraria), and also the point from which would start the whole process of development of Italian medieval art.The wonderful story of Comacina seems to have stopped abruptly in 1169, which marked the ‘annus horribilis’ it’s tragic fate, devastated and razed to the ground to,  Como and Barbarossa, the island declined rapidly, finishing during the following centuries in a state of neglect.Prized for its distinctive nature and splendid views, the Island Comacina regained it’s honour, since 1900, through the realisation  of the three of artists houses inrationalistic style, designed to make the Island a home of fine art, and thanks to a series of archaeological excavations conducted by scholars Ugo Monneret de Villard (1914) e Luigi Mario Belloni (1958-1978).To them goes the credit for having helped to define what Island Comacina is now: an archaeological site whose importance transcends local boundaries, so also to place it’sPlace among the most interesting archaeological sites in northern Italy in the early middle ages.Remains of  Roman marble columns preserved beneath the church of St. John, early Christian evidence such as the usual biabsidate room with wall frescoes and mosaic fragments, and numerous remains of Romanesque churches, among which the crypt of the basilica of St. Euphemia and Stonework of the square complex of SS. Faustino and Jovita: All this constitutes  the precious heritage of Comacina along with many artifacts that were recovered during archaeological campaigns that are displayed in the museum in Ossuccio Antiquarium.