Here are some of our favorite ways to spend our days in this beautiful city:
* Take the funiculare to Brunate, a picturesque village 700 meters above sea level. It is a perfect way to enjoy a sunny day or sunset, as you overlook Lake Como and the Alps. If you are feeling adventurous, you can even hike up to Brunate.
* Hike to Baradello Castle, located on the top of a hill in Como, and enjoy scenic a picnic lunch. On weekends, you can take a guided tour of the medieval tower.
* Visit the Silk Museum to learn about Como’s history of silk manufacturing. Located next to textile school, the museum helps to retain some of what made Como and Italy the silk universe.
* Ride either the fast boat or slow boat to Bellagio, known as the “Pearl of Lake Como.” Spend your day there touring the gardens of Villa Melzi, a neo-classical structure built between 1808-1810, strolling around the cobblestone streets of Bellagio and dining in some of their charming restaurants.
* Tour Varenna, a quaint village on Lake Como that makes a perfect day trip. You can walk to Castello di Vezio, a medivial fortress surrounded by an olive grove, tour Villa Monastero and its gorgeous gardens and take advantage of one of the many hiking trails.
* Catch the fast or slow boat to Lenno and tour Villa del Balbianello, built in the late 16th century and located on a peninsula of Lake Como. It is famous for its elaborate terraced gardens and has been the filming spot for a handful of movies, including Casino Royale and Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones. If you have the time, take the boat a few stops further to Villa Carlotta, where you can tour another beautiful villa that is surrounded by